External Position — Not With Wingard
Development & Engagement Director
About Ability Housing
Ability Housing is a 501(c)3 affordable housing developer committed to improving the quality of life for residents and the communities in which we operate.
Mission: to build strong communities where everyone has a home.
Vision: a society where housing is a right, not a privilege; and all individuals have safe, affordable housing in vibrant communities.
To achieve these, we develop and operate quality rental housing affordable to persons with extremely limited incomes; administer rental assistance to help chronically homeless households access market housing; and partner with area service organizations to ensure our residents have the supports they require to maintain their housing and increase self-reliance.
- Everyone should have a home
- Working together creates opportunities and changes lives
- Challenging the status quo creates new ideas and innovative solutions
- Using data and evidence-based practices creates effective and lasting outcomes
- The trust of the people and communities we serve must be earned every day
The Director of Development & Engagement reports to the President & CEO and is responsible for driving the organization’s fund development and communications strategy and activities. This position requires a leader with great initiative, confidence and the skills necessary to convene people and partners for the benefit of the communities we serve. The person in this position must understand and connect with the agency’s mission, programs, and impact to be an effective and passionate leader. Responsibilities include growing existing partnerships; researching and identifying grants, including larger, multi-dimensional opportunities; conducting appropriate reporting and follow-up; and donor prospecting, cultivation and stewardship.
The Director is responsible for instilling a culture of philanthropy within the organization, building upon the organization’s strength and reputation to secure new and increased support.
Ability Housing, Inc. is looking for an experienced Director to work closely with executive management and programs teams identifying and aligning available grant monies with key program needs. The successful candidate must be highly organized with the ability to understand and implement tracking systems and follow-up procedures; to use independent judgment and to produce a quality work product. Previous experience must demonstrate a proven track record in securing new funding opportunities; comprehensive knowledge of research and the ability to match available funding resources with the right programs and then document and track deliverables.
The Director is responsible for development and implementation of strategies to raise awareness of the Ability Housing brand and the issues it addresses and increase and diversify sustainable streams of revenue and capital. The Director leads the process to identify appropriate revenue strategies, securing the resources necessary to sustain and grow the organization. The Director works independently and is responsible for the overall growth of development capacity and has direct responsibility to:
- Work effectively across the organization to identify funding requirements for core activities and specific projects
- Develop and implement an annual fund development plan; securing the resources needed to support the organization and implement its Strategic Plan
- Steward existing relationships and identify and cultivate prospective investors to sustain and grow the organization and its programs and services
- Be appropriately networked; keeping abreast of trends, news, events and deadlines to identify prospective opportunities for support
- Work with leadership team to develop, maintain and grow “big relationships”
- Manage the systems necessary to administer and monitor fund development, including supervision of the Grants Manager
- Develop strategic partnerships essential to mission fulfillment; including direct programmatic partners, aligned systems of care, essential community partners and local governments
- Engage essential and aligned systems of care, and their members, to support community efforts to implement best practices and improve collective impact
- Develop a grant funding strategy and actively pursue funding opportunities
- Promote positive public relations within the community, in collaboration with President & CEO and consultants, and ensure organization has a visible public image aligned with corporate branding.
- Manage organization’s marketing and communications strategies
- Perform other duties, as assigned
The Director is expected to work collaboratively with all members of the staff; maintain a constant and effective line of communication with the President and leadership team; and strive to enhance overall organizational capacity in any way reasonably possible.
The Director is a member of Ability Housing’s Senior Leadership Team. As such, the Director is responsible to:
- Play a full and collegiate role in the leadership and management of the organization
- Actively participate in development of the Implementation Plan of the Strategic Plan
- Develop and deliver strategic objectives and plans to further the mission and vision of the organization
- Understand and be informed by the financial position of the organization and how it impacts decision making
- Understand the operational implications of different courses of action
- Prepare budget(s) for area(s) of responsibility
- Manage and control expenditures within the agreed budget(s)
- Assess and mitigate risk in area(s) of responsibility
- Communicate strategies, policies and procedures effectively to staff
- Deputize for the President and other Senior Leadership Team members as appropriate and agreed
The Ideal Candidate
Ability Housing is seeking a strategically minded individual who is mission and goal oriented. The ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualities:
- Five years’ nonprofit development experience preferred
- Strong written communication skills; with the ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals
- Extensive people skills, excels at building relationships and stewarding support
- Strong contributor in team environments
- Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of fundraising techniques and strategies, including familiarity with proposal writing, institutional donors, research techniques for prospect research.
- Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Knowledge and familiarity with CRM
- Ability to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
- Able to monitor and meet income goals
- A valid driver’s license and own transportation are required
Position is a full-time, exempt position. Regular daily (work week) presence is required. After hours and weekend duties are sometimes required. Some travel is required.
Ability Housing is a mission-oriented organization that has grown significantly in recent years. It offers a flexible work schedule and environment; operating in a hybrid environment, schedules vary based upon staff preference and the demands of each position.
Ability Housing, Inc. offers competitive compensation and benefits including, medical, dental, vision, life, STD, paid vacation, paid holidays days, and retirement.
Bottom line: Our client is looking for someone who likes to work hard and can contribute to their success. They value new ideas and old-fashioned values like honesty, integrity, and respect while also valuing a healthy work-life balance. If you think you’d be a good fit for this opportunity, we’d love to hear why. Send your resumé, cover letter, salary history, and any relevant examples of past work to firstname.lastname@example.org.